- Yam (Rules)
- Niyam (Regulation)
- Asan (Posture)
- Pranayam (Control or extension of Prana–vital energy)
- Pratyahar (Withdrawal of senses)
1. YAMA (RULE)
The five yamas listed by Patanjali yog sutra. There were lots of yama but patanjal choose to give 5 among them and they are;
- Ahimsa (Non violence) : non-harming other living beings
- Satya (Truth) :To be truthful in thought, word and deed and to refrain from speaking untrue.
- Asteya ( Non-stealing) :To refrain from theft, corruption, black marketing, adulteration and other anti social activities. Neither to encourage those who indulge in them nor stimulate any one to act so.
- Brahamcharya (Celibacy) :To behave properly by fully controlling the five sense organs, five working organs and the mind so as to lead a balanced life, and to have proper control on sexual behaviours.
- Aparigraha(Non-hoarding) : Not to procure or accumulate the material, more than the required and strive for the well being of others
2. NIYAMA (REGULATION)
- Saucha (Cleanliness): purity, clearness of mind, speech and body
- Santosa ( Contentment): acceptance of others and of one’s circumstances as they are, optimism for self
- Tapas (Penance) : To face the difficulties with patience and to keep the body and mind peaceful. It increases the inner power to work harder.
- Svadhyaya (Self study) : study of self, self-reflection, introspection of self’s thoughts, speeches and actions
- Isvarapranidhana : To surrender oneself to the God and do the activities.
3. ASANA (POSTURES)
: “Sthiram Sukham Asanam”, commented Patanjali. It means to be in a state of a posture with ease and without any movement for a while. Generally one cannot be in a state of a posture without any movement for a long time.
(rhythmic control of breath)
Pratyahar is the state of mind, free from the influence of sense organs.
6. DHARANA (Concentration):
Dharana means concentrating the mind on a single aspect or an object or a subject.
7. DHYAN (Meditation)
8. SAMADHI (Super consciousness)
3 thoughts on “Eight limbs of Yoga”
I think the admin of this web site is genuinely working hard in favor of his web page, since here every information is
quality based material.
Thanks to appreciate..
Thanks very interesting blog!